Welcome to St. James Town Community Cafe
We are a social enterprise engaged in building community and providing healthy, delicious, food in St. James Town. In addition to hosting café events that are open and accessible to all, we hold workshops, training events, film screenings, and more. Check out our Events Calendar for details.
Community Co-op Developer
5 months, part time (average 21 hours per week), to be extended based on funding secured), beginning October 2014
The Café Co-op developer will oversee the development of a community co-op, including a food buying project and the St James Town Community Café. The co-op developer will be responsible for collaborating with Café, LIFT and partner organizations to support the incorporation and development of a community co-op in St. James Town.
The Co-op Developer will work with selected Café and LIFT members to finalize the establishment of a community co-op based on the feasibility study and objectives identified by the Coordinating Committee of the St. James Town Community Café project (CCCC).
The Developer will:
- Work with the CCCC to finalize a constitution and bylaws for incorporation as a co-operative;
- Help establish a founding board for the co-op;
- Liaise with allied organizations and potential supporters to help build the co-op;
- Assist members in co-op policy development;
- Help to Identify and pursue funding and investment opportunities to support the development of the Co-op and Café;
- Generate member opportunities and role descriptions based on the needs of the development process
- Work to engage community in the process
- Provide appropriate orientation, support and training for co-op members;
- Promote co-op membership through recruitment and publicity strategies and campaigns;
- Help organize co-op building events as agreed
- Attend Café and Co-op committees and meetings as required;
- Help the finance committee manage Café and Co-op budgets and resources, including the reimbursement of expenses;
- Monitor and evaluate project activities and assist with reporting for funders
- Reports to the Café coordinating committee and is accountable to the Co-op Board, once established
- Provides a monthly summary of activities as well as follow-up items, issues of concern, special projects, etc.
- Meets with the Café coordinators for an informal touch-base every week and on a monthly basis meets with the Co-op Board
Experience/knowledge of co-operatives and co-op development processes, 3 or more years of organizing successful community projects in diverse multi-lingual communities, developing proposals, working both self-directed and with a team, and managing volunteers. St. Jamestown residents, and/or candidates who speak more than one language will be given priority.
Terms of employment
Part-time contract 3 days a week for 5 months – to be extended based on funding and performance. ($20 per hour)